One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not worthy of consideration or respect; worthless or unimportant.‘a twopenny-halfpenny dictator’
poor-quality, second-rate, third-rate, substandard, low-grade, inferior, common, vulgar, shoddy, trashy, rubbishy, tawdry, tinny, brassy, worthless, meretricious, cheap and nasty, cheapjack, gimcrack, brummagem, pinchbeckView synonyms
- ‘I intended to convey that our charming host and hostess were superior to the follies of fashion, and preferred leading a simple and wholesome life to gadding about to twopenny-halfpenny tea-drinking afternoons, and living above their incomes.’
- ‘The ubiquitous twopenny-halfpenny clerk was everywhere, ever present and ever reliable.’
- ‘Is it ethics - when did it influence your conduct in a twopenny-halfpenny affair between man and man?’
- ‘It is your little twopenny-halfpenny authors - the sort that would be dear at six for a shilling - that ‘knock off’ things in a few hours.’
- ‘There was good reason behind such ambitions, for ‘if you were a prince with no gun salute, then every twopenny-halfpenny political Agent could come and visit you every three months and ask to see the accounts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.