Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Australia and New Zealand) a gambling game in which two coins are tossed in the air and bets are laid as to whether both will fall heads or tails uppermost.→ swy
- ‘US and British troops attended and later joined the Australians for a Gunfire Breakfast of coffee laced with rum and a demonstration game of two-up.’
- ‘The crew participated strongly in the traditional game of two-up and fortunately most of their money went to the house with proceeds going to Legacy.’
- ‘The traditional games of two-up could be found being played in front of the Lone Pine monument, and the Royal Australian Navy Band playing traditional Aussie music kept all who attended entertained.’
- ‘Early in 2003, TAB Limited introduced Spinner, essentially an odds and evens game like two-up.’
- ‘Alternatively we could play the game of good old Aussie two-up as advocated by our prospective great war time leader J Winston Howard.’
- ‘So, in the game of two-up, the ringer would cry ‘Fair go!’ before the spinner tossed the coins.’
- ‘I'll be content to don my rosemary, have a few games of two-up and take some time apart to think about those brave old diggers who didn't come back and be sure to shake the hands of those who did.’
- ‘The breakfast and game of two-up on the flight deck was a bit of a novelty for the members of USS ESSEX, and a large crowd soon gathered on the gangway of the ESSEX to observe the events occurring on SUCCESS ' flight deck.’
- ‘With Anzac Day upon us the minds of many Australians turn to ‘The National Game’ - two-up.’
- ‘Air Force members introduced US Army and US Air Force members to the traditional Anzac Day game of two-up.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.