Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The bearing of twins.‘the study showed an increased level of twinning in cattle’
- ‘Gestation lasts approximately 7 months and single births are normal, though twinning does occur occasionally.’
- ‘The genetic associations were latent and intertwined with acquired factors, particularly with the degree of prematurity, birth order and twinning.’
- ‘The other point has to do with the matter of identical twinning, which we are told can ‘happen up to six days after fertilization.’’
- ‘Fraternal twinning - two fertilized ova becoming trapped inside a single shell - is a rare but well-documented occurrence in some birds.’
- ‘Increasing use of fertility drugs is almost certainly the main cause of the recent increase in dizygotic twinning in most developed countries.’
- ‘This result should reassure women planning pregnancies, their healthcare providers, and the wider health community that the evidence of an association between folic acid and an increase in twinning is probably false.’
- ‘The incidence of twinning is thus increased somewhat while the risk of triplets or quadruplets remains low.’
- ‘Twins can result from a separation of the cells at the two-cell stage, but twinning can also occur in humans at a stage as late as 7 days of gestation, when the primitive streak has already started to form.’
- ‘Bell had a deep interest in livestock breeding and tried to develop a strain of sheep with a high rate of twinning.’
- 1.1The occurrence or formation of twinned crystals.‘gypsum crystals often have swallowtail twinning’
- ‘Hemihedrally twinned crystals of bR were split along ab plane into parts of approximately the same thickness and it was demonstrated that each of them or at least one has no twinning.’
- ‘The name pentagonite was given to this mineral because of its twinning.’
- ‘Finally we would like to mention that the understanding of the origin of twinning in a crystal can result in the discovery of better procedures to grow untwinned crystals.’
- ‘Here also, twinning is referred to as ‘a mistake during the growth of a crystal.’’
- ‘Hexagonal bR crystals of space group P6 3 often exhibit a perfect hemihedral twinning.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.