One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A town which has established official or social links with another, typically in a different country.
- ‘An American town gave their British twin town a giant Mr. Potato Head.’
- ‘The local Town Council brought delegations from its twin towns in France and the U.S. together to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the twinning of Ballina with Athis Mons, near Paris.’
- ‘Links with Swindon's twin towns could be put at risk because of the problems facing Swindon Council, warns a senior council official.’
- ‘Kendal Town Council is looking to run a market similar to the one held annually in its German twin town of Rinteln.’
- ‘Chauvigny was celebrating 50 years of twinning and guests had been invited from its other twin towns in Italy, Germany and Burkina Faso in western Africa.’
- ‘After appealing to Whitby's twin towns and cities in Alaska and the Falklands, officials in Anchorage got in touch to say a pair of whale bones had been found on Alaska's northern coast and Whitby could have them.’
- ‘But now a new set is on its way after the port appealed to its twin towns and cities for help.’
- ‘The service centred on the memorial sculpture donated to the city by its twin town of Hamm in Germany.’
- ‘They also travel to sing across Europe, with York twin towns Münster and Dijon regular ports of call.’
- ‘Members of Worcestershire's only surviving village band are welcoming musicians from a Vale twin town today as part of a packed summer of events.’
- ‘Messages of condolence have gone out from Rochdale to its Ukrainian twin town of Lviv after a disaster at the town's air show at the weekend.’
- ‘And now the 19-year-old youth worker is spending seven weeks in Swindon to boost links between the twin towns.’
- ‘Newbridge's links with its German twin town of Bad Lippspringe are expected to be strengthened this year, with plans afoot for local sporting groups and a theatre company to visit the town.’
- ‘Half a century after World War II, there is hardly any European city without one or several twin towns.’
- ‘He says that one of the key elements is that children from the twin towns are accommodated with host families in and around the city.’
- ‘Now we are working towards becoming twin towns and Torun is keen to learn from Swindon.’
- ‘Malmesbury mayor Patrick Goldstone treated youngsters from the twin town of Neibull in Germany to a tour around the town hall last week.’
- ‘The town and its residents were hit hard in 1998 by the devastating Hurricane Mitch, but the combined efforts of its four twin towns, which also include Wiesbaden, in Germany, have helped rebuild the town.’
- ‘He also unveiled plaques celebrating the links with its twin towns, Tourcoing in France and Bielefeld in Germany.’
- ‘Last summer 27 members from Bradford visited Roubaix in France, another of Bradford's twin towns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.