Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Either of two neighbouring cities lying close together.
- ‘The irony is that Midland along with its twin city, Odessa, is one of the most stratified and narrow places in the country.’
- ‘Typical of the stepped-up efforts to keep terrorists at bay is the operation at Laredo, Tex., and its twin city across the border, Nuevo Laredo.’
- ‘Morten certainly met his greatest challenge at the Asia Pacific Regatta, which was sailed on a lake, the Hussein Sagar, straddled by the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad.’
- ‘They are twin cities and cultural activities flowed between the two.’
- ‘A gigantic sign hanged from a wooden pole, welcoming visitors to Jeroosalim, the twin city of Nautras.’
- ‘Rawalpindi is called the twin city of Islamabad, Pakistan's capital.’
- ‘Mackaman is the SEP candidate for state representative in Illinois' 103rd legislative district, which includes the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana.’
- ‘San Diego and Tijuana are twin cities located on opposing sides of the U.S.-Mexico border.’
- ‘No two cities are alike. Even twin cities differ in the essential ‘genetic code’ if I may call it that.’
- ‘Maj Gen Arnison also paid special tribute to the spouses and families of 10FSB personnel and thanked the twin cities of Townsville and Thuringowa for their support.’
- ‘Highway 20 lingers for about 75 miles in the Sacramento Valley, passing the twin cities of Marysville and Yuba City.’
- ‘Chicken shop owners of the twin cities and neighbouring districts dote on this commercial artiste.’
- ‘It is well placed for a panoramic view, being located on a major bend of the River Thames, roughly midway between the twin cities of London, Westminster and the City, offering views of each.’
- ‘Just to the west is its twin city of Vancouver, but we're interested in the eastern one for now.’
- ‘This is one of the best hotels in the twin cities of Rawalpindi-Islamabad.’
- ‘The surrounding districts of the twin cities - Hyderabad and Secunderabad - now resonate with several such tales of reform and financial stability.’
- ‘The twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad provide an excellent market for the bank and it was only natural that the bank decided to strengthen its foundation in this area, Rao said.’
- ‘Hundred of missiles rained over the population of twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad killing more than 100 people at the time.’
- ‘A morning sightseeing excursion around Budapest takes in the historic Buda Castle, with a view of the twin cities of Buda and Pest.’
- ‘This year's regatta took place in India between the 12 th and 19th of May, on the Hussein Sagar, a 400 year old lake in the middle of the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad.’
- 1.1the Twin CitiesNorth American Minneapolis and St Paul in Minnesota.
- ‘In July 2002 the Design Institute of the University of Minnesota asked six design teams to make a proposal for a typeface for the Twin Cities.’
- ‘If you're looking for an authentic Twin City experience, here are 20 things to see and do that you shouldn't miss!’
- 1.2 A city which has been twinned with another.
- ‘The executive mayor of the City of Johannesburg, Amos Masondo, on Thursday signed a twin city agreement with his New York City counterpart Michael Bloomberg.’
- ‘Executive Mayor Councillor Amos Masondo has signed a twin city agreement with his New York City counterpart, Michael Bloomberg.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.