One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Pruning applies mainly to busy, twiggy shrubs which produce a lot of new growth each year, particularly from ground level or near it.’
- ‘Small birds will need some dense, twiggy shrubs for cover and protection from predators like cats and large birds.’
- ‘The only problem with these particular daffodils is their rather thin stems that tend to fall in strong winds or heavy rain and they are best planted with twiggy deciduous shrubs to provide support for their early flowers.’
- ‘As the leaves fall off the trees, leaving twiggy skeletons to draw broken brush strokes on the sky, I add further layers to my outdoor clothing.’
- ‘In flower-beds, stake tall perennials such as delphiniums and hollyhocks by using canes for individual flower stems or by pushing twiggy prunings from shrubs and trees into or around the clump.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.