One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adverb & adjective
- ‘Over the course of the twentieth century human population has increased more than threefold and gross world product perhaps twentyfold.’
- ‘The greater division of labor enables one laborer to accomplish the work of five, 10, or 20 laborers; it therefore increases competition among the laborers fivefold, tenfold, or twentyfold.’
- ‘The Scottish Refugee Council is facing a twentyfold increase in its client base as refugees are dispersed throughout the UK.’
- ‘Researchers from the U.S. Department of Agriculture have shown that just a quarter of a teaspoon to one teaspoon of cinnamon taken with food can help boost metabolism twentyfold.’
- ‘The first Paris Metro line opened in 1900, carrying 15 million passengers in its first year of operations (a figure that had increased twentyfold by 1909).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.