One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverb
- ‘A comparison of the 2001 half-year figure with the same period in 2000 shows a twelvefold increase in syphilis; gonorrhoea is up almost 80% and herpes saw a rise of 36%.’
- ‘The Scottish Executive's latest calculations say it is a staggering twelvefold increase, much of it spent in rural Scotland.’
- ‘Its stock market capitalization has grown twelvefold since she became CEO in 1997.’
- ‘Up to a point, this transformation can be explained by the twelvefold multiplication of the human population between 1500 and 2000, but this is obviously not the whole story.’
- ‘Inflation compounded the crisis, with the official cost of living index increasing twelvefold between June 1945 and January 1946.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.