One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverb
- ‘A comparison of the 2001 half-year figure with the same period in 2000 shows a twelvefold increase in syphilis; gonorrhoea is up almost 80% and herpes saw a rise of 36%.’
- ‘Inflation compounded the crisis, with the official cost of living index increasing twelvefold between June 1945 and January 1946.’
- ‘Its stock market capitalization has grown twelvefold since she became CEO in 1997.’
- ‘Up to a point, this transformation can be explained by the twelvefold multiplication of the human population between 1500 and 2000, but this is obviously not the whole story.’
- ‘The Scottish Executive's latest calculations say it is a staggering twelvefold increase, much of it spent in rural Scotland.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.