One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A record 12 inches in diameter, played at 45 rpm and typically featuring an extended or alternative version of a particular track.
- ‘Also included on a second disc is a fairly inconsequential compilation of twelve-inch remixes that add little to the overall package - most are simply longer versions of the songs on the first disc.’
- ‘Now, in the safety of the apartment, the other records are put aside while the twelve-inch is plopped on mom's turntable for instant-gratification hilarity.’
- ‘The first four tracks on the album are taken from an upcoming twelve-inch EP of the same name.’
- ‘The dance tracks were previously released as twelve-inch singles geared toward the DJ set.’
- ‘The Sugar Hill Records twelve-inch in its generic sleeve is bagged with their other purchases.’
- ‘Released on a twelve-inch, the six untitled tracks that comprise Part Two are primed and cut for clubs, recalling the intoxicating pounding excesses of Squarepusher's Big Loada.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.