Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A player nominated to act as a reserve in a game, typically carrying out duties such as fielding as a substitute, taking out drinks, etc.
- ‘In real life a twelfth man is needed in case of injury to one of the other eleven.’
- ‘In the evening as we sat on the large veranda, a discussion took place about the twelfth man being really only good for carrying drinks.’
- ‘At cricket grounds people seem most excited by the chance to glimpse a famous face - even if it's the twelfth man carrying a water bottle or a TV commentator stretching his legs.’
- ‘The teams will include a nominated captain and a twelfth man.’
- ‘I'd go to practise and turn up to the match and I'd always be the twelfth man.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.