Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pluck, grasp, or pull with or as if with tweezers.‘the brows were tweezed to an almost invisible line’
- ‘It's a bona fide pain, getting your eyebrows tweezed, being threaded.’
- ‘And fifteen exciting hours later of learning how to tweeze eyebrows and match that skirt for every occasion, we had reached Tennessee.’
- ‘You want to go clean out the fridge, or tweeze your eyebrows.’
- ‘I smirked up at him, arching one of my finely tweezed eyebrows.’
- ‘She is sitting on her bed, tweezing her eyebrows.’
- ‘I'm tweezed, conditioned, hot oiled, hot waxed, manicured, pedicured, glossed, concealed, spritzed and sprayed.’
- ‘My favorite beauty enhancer is to get my eyebrows tweezed or waxed regularly.’
- ‘She tweezed out two freshly surfaced hairs in her mole.’
- ‘After years of tweezing my eyebrows they are now very scarce and look untidy, how can I achieve neat looking brows?’
- ‘It finds its heroine beautiful even in her imperfections, doesn't change her dress or tweeze her brows or put her in blush along the way.’
- ‘If you can afford waxing, i'd also suggest you have your eyebrows waxed rather than tweezed if this is your preference.’
- ‘Is it not enough that I shave, wax and tweeze every inch of my fake-n-bake body?’
- ‘When I looked back she was angling a mirror to see what must have been offensively dark chin hairs so she could tweeze them out.’
- ‘I'm fortunate not to have a lot coming up on the chin, but once in a while you get a few, and they have to be tweezed out.’
- ‘Some tweeze, wax, or shave hairs they don't care to have, whether they are in the axillary area, the legs, or on the face.’
- ‘How do you expect me to lead a normal adult life after being raised by a man who tweezes his eyebrows?’
- ‘Sometimes on these mornings, Mum sat on my bed and let me stare up into her face… eyes the colour of espresso, high cheeks plump and pink, brows dark like olives and tweezed to perfection.’
- ‘Don't tweeze them all away, but don't go for the furry effect, either.’
- ‘Groom your brows at night - the best time to tweeze strays, giving your skin a chance to heal from postplucking redness or irritation.’
- ‘For the best results, tweeze hairs one at a time in the direction of hair growth.’
1930s: back-formation from tweezer (see tweezers).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.