Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A meeting or other gathering organized by means of posts on Twitter.
encounter, contact, introduction, appointment, assignation, rendezvous, tweetupView synonyms
- ‘To donate, send an a message to the tweetup.’
- ‘A ' tweetup ' is the colloquial term for a real-world get-together co-ordinated via the 140-character social media website, Twitter.’
- ‘A "tweetup" is a social gathering of people who are on Twitter and there are tweetups occurring all over the world.’
- ‘You can create or find a tweetup on this site.’
- ‘Bernstein was also one of the organisers of a ' tweetup ' at Interbike.’
- ‘We're joined now by Marian Salzman, a marketing expert who recently hosted a twitter tweetup with the company.’
Early 21st century: from tweet + up, on the pattern of meetup.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.