Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for tweenager
Any of a class of compounds used especially as emulsifiers and surfactants. They are derivatives of fatty acid esters of sorbitan.
- ‘Similar results for the SOS Chromotest were obtained with various non-ionic surfactants, such as Tween 20 and 80, Triton X - 305 and Tyloxapol.’
- ‘We have studied the effect of the detergent Tween 20 on transient pores and the line tension in DOPC bilayers.’
- ‘With the addition of PEEP in the Tween + PEEP group, alveoli were stabilized, with I - E [Delta] values similar to Control levels.’
- ‘The PSGL - 1 microbeads were then blocked with a Tween - 20 solution as described above.’
- ‘Genomic DNA from each mutant colony was extracted using a Tween - 20 / proteinase K digestion mixture.’
1940s: of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.