One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A man's dinner jacket.
- ‘There were lots of blonde women in posh frocks and expensive-looking high heels and guys in dinner jackets or tuxedos or whatever you call them.’
- 1.1 A suit of formal evening clothes including a tuxedo.
- ‘He numbly donned his tuxedo and then got the rest of himself ready.’
- ‘On two ‘formal nights,’ some men wear tuxedos but most favor suits or sports coats with slacks.’
- ‘Shrugging, he picked up one of the frilly tuxedo shirts and held it up to himself.’
- ‘I need to find a place to rent a tuxedo this week in London.’
- ‘He had already bought their tickets and rented a tuxedo and a limo.’
- ‘Jeff was dressed in a rented tuxedo, while Debbie was very pretty in a pale yellow dress.’
- ‘They had obviously been at a school formal or something like that, because they were wearing tuxedos and evening dresses.’
- ‘Again, I single these nice boys out for wearing nice, traditional, classy tuxedoes.’
- ‘Resplendent in a white tuxedo, Mark returned from the punch bowl bearing refreshments.’
- ‘He was wearing a black tuxedo with a tie.’
- ‘He was wearing a black tuxedo with a tie, and gold cufflinks to match the dance floor.’
- ‘Gerald wore typical male attire of a tuxedo with a bow tie.’
- ‘Always eccentric, Dietrich put on trousers, tuxedos and men's suits long before other women dared.’
- ‘On one pair, she added a velvet ribbon sewn down the legs to imitate tuxedo pants.’
- ‘For this, I had to rent a tuxedo even though I already own two.’
- ‘He was facing the mirror fixing a black tie on his white tuxedo.’
- ‘The tuxedo jacket was gone, leaving just the damp cotton of his dress shirt.’
- ‘She walked up to me and straightened the already straight collar of my tuxedo jacket.’
- ‘Likewise, suits are worn by both men and women in most places of business, and tuxedos and evening gowns are worn at formal affairs’
- ‘He wore a black tuxedo, ready for another King's Club party.’
Late 19th century: from Tuxedo Park, the site of a country club in New York, where it was first worn.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.