One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an Iroquoian people originally inhabiting the Carolinas and later New York State, one of the six peoples of the Iroquois Confederacy.
- ‘During this period, the Tuscaroras were admitted as a sixth constituent nation.’
- ‘Following the Revolutionary War, the Tuscaroras acquired land for their own reservation near the present day Lewiston, New York.’
- ‘The Cherokee people or the Aniyunwiya, as we call ourselves, and the Tuscarora, who are also Iroquois people, migrated south.’
- ‘Then Olbrechts spent three months in 1928 among the Tuscarora, and in 1929 he was for a brief time with the Onondaga.’
- ‘The Tuscaroras were fleeing north from war in the Carolinas in 1722.’
- ‘Civilization also means a respect for old vows: the Five Nations maintain their alliance with the Tuscarora despite one thousand years of separation.’
- ‘Early in the eighteenth century the Tuscarora, another Iroquoian-speaking tribe living in North Carolina, moved into the territory occupied by the Confederacy.’
- ‘After 1711 the Carolinas were embroiled in war, first with the Tuscarora, then with the Yamasee.’
2mass noun The extinct Iroquoian language of the Tuscarora.
- ‘The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.’
- ‘Everyone started calling him MGM, which eventually evolved into Gihh-rhaggs, the Tuscarora word for lion.’
Relating to the Tuscarora or their language.
- ‘It led the Five Nations to invite Tuscarora refugees to enter the Longhouse.’
- ‘Cusick's silence regarding the heterogeneity of his Iroquois audience-and-referent also fills the space between Five Nations and Tuscarora identity.’
- ‘Ted Williams is a writer, an artist, and an elder from the Tuscarora tribe in the Iroquois nation in New York State.’
The name in Iroquoian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.