One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An American Indian people forming part of the Iroquois confederacy, originally inhabiting the Carolinas and later New York State.
- ‘Then Olbrechts spent three months in 1928 among the Tuscarora, and in 1929 he was for a brief time with the Onondaga.’
- ‘Following the Revolutionary War, the Tuscaroras acquired land for their own reservation near the present day Lewiston, New York.’
- ‘After 1711 the Carolinas were embroiled in war, first with the Tuscarora, then with the Yamasee.’
- ‘Early in the eighteenth century the Tuscarora, another Iroquoian-speaking tribe living in North Carolina, moved into the territory occupied by the Confederacy.’
- ‘The Tuscaroras were fleeing north from war in the Carolinas in 1722.’
- ‘Civilization also means a respect for old vows: the Five Nations maintain their alliance with the Tuscarora despite one thousand years of separation.’
- ‘The Cherokee people or the Aniyunwiya, as we call ourselves, and the Tuscarora, who are also Iroquois people, migrated south.’
- ‘During this period, the Tuscaroras were admitted as a sixth constituent nation.’
2mass noun The extinct Iroquoian language of the Tuscarora.
- ‘Everyone started calling him MGM, which eventually evolved into Gihh-rhaggs, the Tuscarora word for lion.’
- ‘The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.’
Relating to the Tuscarora or their language.
- ‘Ted Williams is a writer, an artist, and an elder from the Tuscarora tribe in the Iroquois nation in New York State.’
- ‘Cusick's silence regarding the heterogeneity of his Iroquois audience-and-referent also fills the space between Five Nations and Tuscarora identity.’
- ‘It led the Five Nations to invite Tuscarora refugees to enter the Longhouse.’
The name in Iroquoian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.