Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A DJ who is an expert in sampling, scratching, and similar techniques.
- ‘They're the top turntablists in the world and we're going to be forced to choose between them!’
- ‘What do you think DJs and turntablists have been doing illegally for almost 15 years in dance clubs from Berlin to L.A.?’
- ‘Keyboardist, Kamal Gray, and human turntablist, Scratch, become members of the band.’
- ‘What distinguishes the DJ from other turntablists is the way he constantly stretches the boundaries of electronic music.’
- ‘As their budgets have increased, their music has become correspondingly more ambitious, embracing big ensembles along with bedroom turntablists.’
- ‘He swept the world with his prodigious DJing talents and made Montreal proud to foster a new generation of turntablists.’
- ‘He is one of the world's more notable turntablists, demonstrating both strong composition skills and an anything-goes aesthetic.’
- ‘The young turntablist quickly partnered with neighbor Fredy Blast.’
- ‘I just love the idea of a guest appearance by a turntablist - what a concept.’
- ‘Willner has also been reborn as a turntablist, though he's not much of a scratcher.’
- ‘The Brooklyn-based half-Asian MC and turntablist relates tales from a changing New York City with intelligence, humour and honesty.’
- ‘Remember how, as he got older, he continued to grow as both a turntablist and a man-child?’
- ‘Scratching from the turntablist really gets you moving.’
- ‘The contest pits area turntablists and lyricists against each other in a frenzy of tight rhymes and hot beats.’
- ‘They played the beats that form the foundations of hip-hop, the core tools in any turntablist's arsenal.’
- ‘The Japanese turntablist has been successfully merging the parallel worlds of drum 'n' bass and hip-hop for the past decade.’
- ‘Did you ever feel like it was a requirement to go from battle DJ and turntablist to hip hop production?’
- ‘He makes a jazz album first, and then allows separate ground for the turntablists to remix five of the original tracks.’
- ‘You realise there is no drummer, no keyboard player, and no turntablist.’
- ‘This rapper and turntablist have perfect names, which combine together to evoke old-school teamwork and MC-DJ balance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.