One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A power-operated extending and revolving ladder mounted on a fire engine.
- ‘Behind the turntable ladder walked more than 20 of his Selby Fire Station colleagues, some of them close to tears as they said their own final farewells.’
- ‘Fire officers using breathing apparatus began to tackle the blaze as six fire tenders and a turntable ladder were called to the scene.’
- ‘The decision to strike was taken after Suffolk County Council said 12 turntable ladder crewing jobs would go in Bury St. Edmunds.’
- ‘The melons were dropped using a 100 ft-high turntable ladder.’
- ‘The strikes are a response to Suffolk County Council's decision to axe 12 jobs at Bury St Edmunds station, which operates one of only two turntable ladders in the county.’
- ‘The Bronto Skylift, the first of its kind in north Yorkshire, replaces the ageing turntable ladder based at Harrogate.’
- ‘Two fire engines, the fire station's longest turntable ladder and 18 firefighters were called out from Scarborough.’
- ‘The workers were protesting a decision by Suffolk County Council to cut 12 specialist jobs manning the turntable ladder in Bury St. Edmunds.’
- ‘Firefighters placed the turntable ladder across the river and used a hose and lines to sweep the goose towards the river's edge.’
- ‘They spent more than 11 hours containing the blaze and used a turntable ladder to douse it from above.’
- ‘A dozen firefighters, two fire engines, and a turntable ladder from the nearby North Marine Road station arrived to find the only way out of the house, the stairwell, engulfed by flames.’
- ‘The pride of the museum is a 125 ft turntable ladder that was used to tackle mill fires.’
- ‘Four fire engines and the turntable ladder turned out as police sealed off the area around the school buildings to traffic.’
- ‘The station houses two pumps and a special unit with a turntable ladder.’
- ‘It plans to axe 12 jobs at Bury St Edmunds station, which runs one of only two turntable ladders in the county.’
- ‘Without the turntable ladder, members of the public would have been put in danger.’
- ‘Five appliances attended the blaze along with the turntable ladder and the major rescue vehicle from Barrow.’
- ‘Mr Pounder fears that three of the brigade's nine turntable ladders, known as aerial appliances, could be axed, plus several salvage equipment tenders which carry items such as specialist cutting gear.’
- ‘Firefighters use a turntable ladder as they tackle the blaze at Clifton Green, York.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.