Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A power-operated extending and revolving ladder mounted on a fire engine.
- ‘Behind the turntable ladder walked more than 20 of his Selby Fire Station colleagues, some of them close to tears as they said their own final farewells.’
- ‘A dozen firefighters, two fire engines, and a turntable ladder from the nearby North Marine Road station arrived to find the only way out of the house, the stairwell, engulfed by flames.’
- ‘The workers were protesting a decision by Suffolk County Council to cut 12 specialist jobs manning the turntable ladder in Bury St. Edmunds.’
- ‘Four fire engines and the turntable ladder turned out as police sealed off the area around the school buildings to traffic.’
- ‘Firefighters placed the turntable ladder across the river and used a hose and lines to sweep the goose towards the river's edge.’
- ‘The Bronto Skylift, the first of its kind in north Yorkshire, replaces the ageing turntable ladder based at Harrogate.’
- ‘Five appliances attended the blaze along with the turntable ladder and the major rescue vehicle from Barrow.’
- ‘They spent more than 11 hours containing the blaze and used a turntable ladder to douse it from above.’
- ‘The pride of the museum is a 125 ft turntable ladder that was used to tackle mill fires.’
- ‘Fire officers using breathing apparatus began to tackle the blaze as six fire tenders and a turntable ladder were called to the scene.’
- ‘Mr Pounder fears that three of the brigade's nine turntable ladders, known as aerial appliances, could be axed, plus several salvage equipment tenders which carry items such as specialist cutting gear.’
- ‘It plans to axe 12 jobs at Bury St Edmunds station, which runs one of only two turntable ladders in the county.’
- ‘Without the turntable ladder, members of the public would have been put in danger.’
- ‘Firefighters use a turntable ladder as they tackle the blaze at Clifton Green, York.’
- ‘The station houses two pumps and a special unit with a turntable ladder.’
- ‘The melons were dropped using a 100 ft-high turntable ladder.’
- ‘Two fire engines, the fire station's longest turntable ladder and 18 firefighters were called out from Scarborough.’
- ‘The decision to strike was taken after Suffolk County Council said 12 turntable ladder crewing jobs would go in Bury St. Edmunds.’
- ‘The strikes are a response to Suffolk County Council's decision to axe 12 jobs at Bury St Edmunds station, which operates one of only two turntable ladders in the county.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.