One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action or skill of making objects on a lathe.‘the boys were instructed in turnery’
- ‘The demand for exotic turnery woods has increased significantly in the past two years, in first place from the United States and some European countries.’
- ‘He makes his asymmetrical turnery not because he regards the asymmetrical form beautiful or the symmetrical ugly but because, as he works, he is perfectly unaware of such polarities.’
- ‘Guava, lemon, sycamore, olive, date, willow wood are used in turnery as they have different ornamental color.’
- ‘The art of Nagiso turnery is bringing out the beauty of the natural woodgrain to its limit.’
- ‘This type of turnery was produced as a direct result of a dispute between the Guild of Furniture Makers and the Guild of Turners.’
- ‘It is difficult to work with hand tools, but is an excellent wood for turnery and carving.’
- ‘It is excellent for turnery and can be worked to a smooth, lustrous finish.’
- ‘Wood turnery simply refers to the process of creating legs or spindles turned on a lathe.’
- 1.1 Objects made on a lathe.‘the house was full of unsold turnery’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.