One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reject an offer or application made by someone.‘the RAF turned him down on medical grounds’
reject, spurn, rebuff, refuse, decline, say no toView synonyms
- ‘Imagine my chagrin when, after a full-price offer, I was turned down.’
- ‘We did advertise earlier this year and only had three applicants, two weren't suitable and the one we offered it to turned us down.’
- ‘We haven't done anything lately and you're constantly turning me down whenever I offer to do something with you.’
- ‘One time he even offered to give her a massage, but Muriel turned him down.’
- ‘He never asks for help and he turns you down when you offer it.’
- ‘We met, he offered to buy me an ice-cream and I turned him down.’
- ‘You would not complain if you were turned down in a job application for health reasons.’
- ‘I offered to baby-sit and she flatly turned me down.’
- ‘But most of all, Anna hated the way she scowled at her every time she passed by, simply because she'd always turned her down on her offers to play doll.’
- ‘He made a casual offer and I turned him down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.