One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an engine) start or continue to run properly.‘the engine turned over when we tried it with the starter handle’
- ‘It shakes and rattles as the engine turns over.’
- ‘The engines may kick back if the ignition is turned on before the engines start turning over.’
- ‘Once the engine turns over, it's off to the races.’
- ‘With a spin of the crank handle the engine turns over easily and off she rattles on her iron tyres.’
- ‘The engine ground a couple of times, then turned over with a growl I hadn't heard for a long time.’
- ‘The engine whined but didn't turn over, and she felt blood trickle from her lip as she bit back a screaming tantrum.’
- ‘As soon as he heard the Jeep engine turn over, he bent over the sink and spat the medicine out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.