One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an engine) start or continue to run properly.‘the engine turned over when we tried it with the starter handle’
- ‘The engine whined but didn't turn over, and she felt blood trickle from her lip as she bit back a screaming tantrum.’
- ‘With a spin of the crank handle the engine turns over easily and off she rattles on her iron tyres.’
- ‘As soon as he heard the Jeep engine turn over, he bent over the sink and spat the medicine out.’
- ‘Once the engine turns over, it's off to the races.’
- ‘The engines may kick back if the ignition is turned on before the engines start turning over.’
- ‘The engine ground a couple of times, then turned over with a growl I hadn't heard for a long time.’
- ‘It shakes and rattles as the engine turns over.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.