One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Leave one road in order to join another.‘they turned off the main road’‘we turned off to the right’
leave, branch offView synonyms
- ‘I got back in the car, turned around and went back to the road I'd just turned off.’
- ‘I'm heading into Weybridge and just turning off the river road to swing round in front of The Minnow.’
- ‘At the point we had to turn off the main road north.’
- ‘When Simon turned off Bradford Road into a housing estate, PC Jones lost sight of him.’
- ‘Josh turns off onto a quiet road, pulling over on the shoulder.’
- ‘I turned off the main road, and took the short cut through the woods.’
- ‘The cowboy stabs sideways with his finger, indicating he's turning off just up the road.’
- ‘He said he watched as the boy racer turned off down another road then suddenly he saw Miss Concannon.’
- ‘He was turning off of the road that leads to our house and a drunk driver collided into the side of his car.’
- ‘He was later told to turn off the main road and ended up on a dirt track.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.