Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A situation, typically in a war, in which the aggressor has an overwhelming advantage.‘a high-tech turkey shoot rather than a war’
- ‘Single player games, while strangely entertaining, end up being little more than turkey shoots.’
- ‘There's no air defense, It's simply a turkey shoot.’
- ‘In truth, the four and a half mile ordeal is more like a turkey shoot.’
- ‘We'd drive up to this clearing and it would be, well, a turkey shoot.’
- ‘This is going to be a turkey shoot.’
- ‘The enemy troops are basically dumb, turning a lot of the firefights into turkey shoots.’
- ‘‘It's a turkey shoot,’ claims one gleeful soldier.’
- ‘There was a turkey shoot.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.