One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A scarlet textile dye obtained from madder or alizarin.
- ‘They sent their fabric to Turkey red specialists to be dyed.’
- ‘It was mined in ancient Greece and then sold to the Turks who used it to make a beautiful red dye known as Turkey red.’
- 1.1 The colour of this dye.
- 1.2 Cotton cloth dyed with Turkey red, popular in the 19th century.
- ‘The diagonal chain effect is produced by squares of Turkey red fabric, which, unusually, are of a monochrome printed design.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.