One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A jet engine in which a turbine is used to drive a propeller.
- ‘This type of powerplant was ideal for lower performance aircraft that could substitute their piston engines for the turboprop.’
- ‘Its engines consist of four turboprops with contrarotating propellers located on the wings.’
- ‘The combination of a proven airframe with a turboprop engine widely used in eastern Europe and Russia was perceived to be an attractive way to bring a new design to market relatively quickly.’
- 1.1 An aircraft powered by a turboprop.
- ‘His program was an aircraft hangar, filled with almost every variety of primitive aircraft, from a turboprop trainer to a hang glider.’
- ‘The turboprop aircraft, which has a 50-tonne payload capacity, is the only one of its kind in operation.’
- ‘A high powered, single engine turboprop aircraft normally requires extensive rudder control by the pilot, and most trainee pilots graduate to jet aircraft where engine torque is not a factor.’
- ‘Established in 1939, Pilatus Aircraft is the world's leading manufacturer of single-engine turboprop aircraft.’
- ‘Heavy engine work on the jet, turboprops and piston aircraft is contracted out.’
- ‘Buying a turboprop aircraft as a backup is ‘a possibility,’ according to Famin.’
- ‘Even the shared-ownership turboprop fleet is expected to increase by some 60 aircraft in the next five years.’
- ‘The agency received a call to locate a specific Piper turboprop aircraft.’
- ‘In a turboprop aircraft, putting the props in the beta position creates an extraordinary speed brake.’
- ‘After wasting time and money, a decision was made to drop the idea of turboprop power and use the new wing combined with a standard Super Constellation fuselage to create the Model L - 1649.’
- ‘More and more of these airlines are shifting from the noisy turboprops to regional jets, since they carry more passengers and provide better comfort.’
- ‘This notwithstanding, Novikov succeeded to preserve the long-range aviation and re-equip it with strategic turboprop and jet bombers of the day.’
- ‘It was a twin-engine turboprop attack aircraft built for counterinsurgency work.’
- ‘The new turboprop aircraft is the company's fourth aircraft and will replace the Shorts 360 that has served the route since its launch in January 2001.’
- ‘Something happened at altitude that led to the crashes last month of two unrelated single-pilot turboprops.’
- ‘As we sped through 600 feet, the unmistakable sound of turboprops began to drown out our own aircraft's engine and rotor noise.’
- ‘Tilt rotors are a unique type of aircraft that possess the take-off, hover and landing capabilities of a conventional helicopter with the range and speed of a turboprop aircraft.’
- ‘The awards were presented in three categories: helicopters, turboprops and jets.’
- ‘Created from modified Thunderstreak airframes, two XF - 84Hs were built to test the concept of a turboprop fighter.’
- ‘For transport, the air force has thirty-two turboprop CC - 130 Hercules aircraft.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.