Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A jet engine in which the jet gases also operate a turbine-driven compressor for compressing the air drawn into the engine.
- ‘Rather than using a rotating compressor like a turbojet engine, the forward velocity and vehicle aerodynamic design compress air into the engine.’
- ‘Such turbine engines are also called jet engines and they embrace a family of products: turbojets, turbofans, and turboprops.’
- ‘The engines fitted on this particular aircraft were two pistons and two small turbojets (to help it to take off in certain conditions).’
- ‘The Gannet has double in-line Mamba turbojet engines driving two sets of contra-rotating propellers though a single driveshaft.’
- ‘It had four turbojet engines with afterburners, and was the first supersonic aircraft with engine pods mounted outboard on the wings.’
- ‘Today, the turbojets in many British and American aircraft owe their origins to Whittle and the many Lancashire workers who brought it into production.’
- ‘He gently reversed the thrust of the turbojet engines, bringing the Concorde to an abrupt halt.’
- ‘It will have a solid rocket booster rather than the turbojet engine and be launched from a torpedo tube.’
- ‘The technology behind this superb aircraft was the turbojet engine, which produced more power than piston engines and created less drag than a propeller.’
- 1.1An aircraft powered by a turbojet.
- ‘With increasing danger from turbojet fighters, the US military began transitioning to primarily an all turbojet fleet of aircraft.’
- ‘The White Knight turbojet aircraft climbs over the Mojave desert with SpaceShipOne attached to its underbelly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.