One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sediment or rock deposited by a turbidity current.as modifier ‘modern deep-sea turbidite muds’‘a series of turbidites’
- ‘The Xigaze terrane incorporates a 5000-8000 m thick succession of volcaniclastic turbidites.’
- ‘Thick shale packages, approaching 30 m thick, occur interbedded with the turbidite sandstones.’
- ‘Thicker tuff layers are turbidites containing volcanogenic material redeposited from the inner trench slope.’
- ‘In addition, intercalated terrigenous turbidites exhibit considerable lateral variation in bed thickness.’
- ‘Most coarse-grained clastic sediment that is deposited in turbidite basins is either derived from alluvial basins or shallow marine shelves.’
1950s: from turbidity (see turbid) + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.