One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A two-pronged steel device used by musicians, which vibrates when struck to give a note of specific pitch.
- ‘A tuning fork's pitch depends on the size of its tines.’
- ‘Her paintings project a fragility and an overall resonance that I can only compare to a perfectly hit note on a tuning fork.’
- ‘Formal audiography is more sensitive and specific than a tuning fork examination and thus is essential in most patients with hearing loss.’
- ‘This phenomenon is similar to the vibrations that can be produced in a tuning fork when it is struck by sound waves.’
- ‘A sound that is close to this is the hollow sound of a tuning fork.’
- ‘But this is no simple relationship, like that of a vibrating tuning fork touched to your dining room table.’
- ‘Other resonant devices like chimes, tuning forks and gongs are utilized by professionals.’
- ‘The key to understanding Riemann's ideas is to explore why a tuning fork, a violin and a clarinet sound very different, even when they are all playing an A, say.’
- ‘Functioning like tuning forks, the stones vibrate or relay the EM world frequency.’
- ‘Each tuning fork is fitted with a weighted reed which bounces when the tuning fork vibrates.’
- ‘No other country in the world can hold a tuning fork to German music.’
- ‘The sound resonated through the room like a tuning fork.’
- ‘One memorable puzzle involves adjusting the pitch of four tuning forks.’
- ‘In the Weber test, the tuning fork is struck and placed on the midline of the forehead, the nasal bridge, or the chin.’
- ‘In Rinne's test you strike the tuning fork and hold it against the outcrop of bone immediately behind the ear until you can't hear it anymore.’
- ‘Some of his works contain images of tuning forks with halo-like parallel lines radiating off the two prongs.’
- ‘It is this essay that, when struck as if a tuning fork, vibrates through all the other essays.’
- ‘Practitioners of sound healing use tuning forks, electronically produced music, drumming and chanting to affect body functions and alter mood.’
- ‘I lay on her couch and marvelled at the effect a humble tuning fork in F sharp could have on one's mental equilibrium.’
- ‘The other day, I went to buy a coffee grinder, and came back with a piano tuning fork.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.