One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A two-pronged steel device used by musicians, which vibrates when struck to give a note of specific pitch.
- ‘The key to understanding Riemann's ideas is to explore why a tuning fork, a violin and a clarinet sound very different, even when they are all playing an A, say.’
- ‘Formal audiography is more sensitive and specific than a tuning fork examination and thus is essential in most patients with hearing loss.’
- ‘I lay on her couch and marvelled at the effect a humble tuning fork in F sharp could have on one's mental equilibrium.’
- ‘Some of his works contain images of tuning forks with halo-like parallel lines radiating off the two prongs.’
- ‘Practitioners of sound healing use tuning forks, electronically produced music, drumming and chanting to affect body functions and alter mood.’
- ‘A tuning fork's pitch depends on the size of its tines.’
- ‘Each tuning fork is fitted with a weighted reed which bounces when the tuning fork vibrates.’
- ‘No other country in the world can hold a tuning fork to German music.’
- ‘The other day, I went to buy a coffee grinder, and came back with a piano tuning fork.’
- ‘But this is no simple relationship, like that of a vibrating tuning fork touched to your dining room table.’
- ‘One memorable puzzle involves adjusting the pitch of four tuning forks.’
- ‘A sound that is close to this is the hollow sound of a tuning fork.’
- ‘Her paintings project a fragility and an overall resonance that I can only compare to a perfectly hit note on a tuning fork.’
- ‘Functioning like tuning forks, the stones vibrate or relay the EM world frequency.’
- ‘In the Weber test, the tuning fork is struck and placed on the midline of the forehead, the nasal bridge, or the chin.’
- ‘The sound resonated through the room like a tuning fork.’
- ‘This phenomenon is similar to the vibrations that can be produced in a tuning fork when it is struck by sound waves.’
- ‘It is this essay that, when struck as if a tuning fork, vibrates through all the other essays.’
- ‘Other resonant devices like chimes, tuning forks and gongs are utilized by professionals.’
- ‘In Rinne's test you strike the tuning fork and hold it against the outcrop of bone immediately behind the ear until you can't hear it anymore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.