A membranous sheath enveloping or lining an organ.[with Latin modifier] ‘tunica media’
covering, cover, case, casing, envelope, sleeve, wrapperView synonyms
- ‘The tumor completely encased the right coronary artery with external compression of the vessel wall without invasion into the tunica media.’
- ‘Arterial calcification most commonly involves the tunica media.’
- ‘Muscle fibers arranged in various striae form the tunica media of veins, for example, in medium-sized vessels.’
- ‘The tumor seemed to infiltrate the tunica albuginea and the rete testis, as well as the root of the epididymis.’
- ‘Veins typically have 3 layers: tunica intima, media, and adventitia.’
The outer layer or layers of cells in an apical meristem, which contribute to surface growth.
Late 17th century: from Latin, literally tunic.