Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a pleasing tune; melodious.‘a musical full of tuneful songs’
melodious, melodic, musical, mellifluous, sweet-sounding, pleasant-sounding, dulcet, euphonious, harmonious, lyrical, liltingView synonyms
- ‘I find this a pleasant, tuneful, lyrically meaningful song.’
- ‘I think young students will enjoy the fun rhythms, tuneful melodies and the influence of jazz harmonies.’
- ‘It is well known in the inner sanctum of the region's music circles that Mr Sharkey is a big fan of the grand and tuneful works of Gustav Mahler.’
- ‘The Society has assembled a talented cast and production team for this bright and tuneful musical comedy.’
- ‘Aaron Copland's Duo for Flute and Piano is more serious in tone, though no less tuneful.’
- ‘This music is tuneful and entertaining, and it makes no serious demands on either the listener or on the performers.’
- ‘Indeed, if you are not particularly a fan of opera and singing but do like lush tuneful orchestral playing, you should try this.’
- ‘We got the first in a downpour of irresistibly tuneful songs from the classic film.’
- ‘This said, Blowback is a great pop album - tuneful and in tune with contemporary tastes.’
- ‘The tuneful song of the piano filled the studio once again.’
- ‘His songwriting is tuneful and perceptive, his sound raw and raggedy glorious, his voice thick and resonant.’
- ‘The singing, both individual and choral, is tuneful with words both intelligibly and intelligently sung.’
- ‘They form a perfect setting for some of Rodgers and Hammerstein's most tuneful and evocative songs.’
- ‘People with no identifiable singing ability would break into tuneful song.’
- ‘It is a spangly piece of tuneful easy listening, a record unashamed of a simple chorus and a driving rhythm.’
- ‘Honestly - my school friends and I used to make up more tuneful songs with better lyrics when we were seven.’
- ‘It's all quite charming and tuneful if, in the last resort, unmemorable.’
- ‘Anything Goes, set on an ocean liner and featuring many tuneful Cole Porter songs, is at Guiseley Theatre.’
- ‘That's what Dan Zanes is all about: tuneful songs and heartfelt singing.’
- ‘It contains some of the most delightful music ever written by the popular composer: tuneful, amusing and colourful.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.