Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person's stomach or abdomen.
- ‘His mum had warned me that he had been suffering from a dodgy tum for a couple of days.’
- ‘Even supermodels wear stuff that sculpts their bums and tums.’
- ‘Personal shoppers are old hands at choosing the right garments to make fat arms look thinner, small breasts seem fuller and ways to conceal wobbly bums and tums.’
- ‘Lorraine and I survived another legs, bums and tums class last night.’
- ‘I have to admit that I had butterflies the size of bulldozers flapping around in my tum as I walked him round the corner to nursery school.’
- ‘There's bums and tums hanging out, both male and female, hips swinging with thongs on view and there's legs up to bottoms with barely a scrap of coverage.’
- ‘How many chickens go through our tums in Britain alone in a year?’
- ‘I'm starting my first bums and tums class this week, so hopefully I will start to feel the benefits of all this exercise soon.’
- ‘When we do have a meal, its just solely to fill up the growling tums.’
- ‘The class consists of a warm-up, 40 minutes of exercises for bums, tums and thighs, followed by a cool-down and stretching session.’
- ‘There are many ways to fill your tum in an emergency, and some of them won't even make you feel ill.’
- ‘I've been feeling a bit weird - sore tum, grumpy and tired.’
- ‘He has taught classes ranging from legs, bums and tums to box-fit, spinning, body-pump, studio-strength, circuits and extreme abs.’
- ‘I would never have to attend a gruelling bums and tums ' workout ever again.’
- ‘I began with a legs, bums and tums class but felt I should try something harder.’
- ‘They tone the legs, tum and bum and even help strengthen the pelvic floor muscle.’
- ‘The provider of food for 270 young tums was today hailed North West School Chef of the Year.’
- ‘Having recently suffered a case of jippy tum I've been thinking a lot about toilet paper.’
- ‘When he ran on to the pitch to chants of Who Ate All the Pies? he responded by lifting his shirt and rubbing his tum.’
- ‘Activities on offer include legs, bums and tums stability ball class; aerobics and cycling.’
Mid 19th century: abbreviation of tummy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.