Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A predatory marine mollusc with a sculptured spiral shell resembling that of a whelk.
- ‘If you are like me, you find it disappointing to read about a shell trip to a wonderful sounding marine area, only to find it is 90% about the country, and the other 10% is about all the money cowries or tulip shells that were found.’
- ‘They had oysters, sea urchins, conch shells, tulip shells, starfish, and crabs either attached or living on them.’
- ‘The family Fasciolariidae contains a wide variety of groups, such as the tulip shells, the horse conchs, and the spindle shells.’
- ‘The thick, sculptured lip of the tulip shell is used to chip a hole in the prey's shell, then the proboscis is inserted.’
- ‘Conch are the favorite food for lobster, sting rays, tulip shells, crabs, octopus, turtles and porcupine fish.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.