One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bulbous spring-flowering plant of the lily family, with boldly coloured cup-shaped flowers.
Genus Tulipa, family Liliaceae: numerous complex hybrids
- ‘In borders where tulips have been planted for several years, fungi could be present.’
- ‘Later blooming hyacinths and tulips can be planted anytime before the ground freezes.’
- ‘Volunteers are urgently needed to help plant daffodils and tulips bulbs.’
- ‘These are the places to plant colorful tulips, daffodils and other spring bulbs now.’
- ‘Bulbs can still be planted including tulips, late-flowering daffodils and alliums.’
- ‘Irises, roses and tulips are examples of plants that will thrive in a dry garden.’
- ‘And, perhaps more importantly, for so beautiful a flower, the tulip remains the easiest flower to grow.’
- ‘If you have a bright space for growing on, then add daffodils and tulips to the mix.’
- ‘Water the garden after planting to help the tulips establish root growth.’
- ‘The tulip is followed in popularity by the daffodil and other narcissi, the gladiolus, the lily and the crocus.’
- ‘Daffodils and tulips have given way to rains of wallflowers and clouds of forget-me-nots.’
- ‘The first tulips in Holland were planted at the University of Leiden in autumn of 1593.’
- ‘Plant tulips first, then add enough soil to achieve the proper depth for the grape hyacinths.’
- ‘Fall is the time to plant the tulips, daffodils and hyacinths that bloom in the spring.’
- ‘Plant it in combination with late flowering tulips, which will pierce the dense foliage to form an impressive contrast.’
- ‘Remember that some bulbs such as tulips and hyacinths do not always come back strongly in subsequent years.’
- ‘It is the season to plant flowering bulbs such as tulips, narcissi, crocuses and hyacinths.’
- ‘One of the few drawbacks of daffodils and tulips is the foliage after the flowers have gone over.’
- ‘Dead-head daffodils and tulips as they fade, to prevent the plants from putting energy into seed production.’
- ‘As the tulips and narcissi bloom in spring, it is time to plan the summer garden.’
Late 16th century: from French tulipe, via Turkish from Persian dulband ‘turban’, from the shape of the expanded flower.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.