One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin curved biscuit, typically made with almonds.
- ‘This is a variation on tuiles, meaning ‘tiles,’ which refers to the traditional form of this French cookie.’
- ‘Place a quenelle of the rose water ice cream on a tuile next to the souffle.’
- ‘Top the tuile with a quenelle of chocolate sorbet and a piece of the chocolate caramel.’
- ‘For dessert, there's a rich hazelnut gianduja and a very fine fromage blanc construction sitting in light fig soup, with a crunchy tuile on top.’
- ‘Unmold a chocolate foam next to the parfait with a caramel tuile in between.’
- ‘Place a tuile filled with a scoop of asparagus ice cream to one side of the baking dish.’
- ‘It's such a classic dish, traditionally served on a tuile base.’
- ‘For the brioche tuiles, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.’
- ‘Deposit a tuile on every plate and place the macerated prunes inside.’
- ‘For the sesame tuiles, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.’
- ‘Gently but firmly press on the tuile to shape it to the cup.’
- ‘Place a scoop of pear sorbet and a honey tuile on top of cake.’
- ‘Dust the strudel tuiles with powdered sugar and reserve.’
- ‘Place a scoop of thyme ice cream and a tuile toward the top of the pear and drizzle with thyme syrup.’
- ‘There was no pointless clutter of brandy snap baskets, tuiles, mint leaves or physalis either.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the dessert is partly plated up: a little biscuit tuile and a few blueberries go onto the rows of plates spread along the tables.’
- ‘Using a palette knife, spread a thin layer oft tuile mix on a non-stick mat.’
- ‘You should have three layers of sorbet with four tuiles.’
- ‘They're really slim, crunchy tuiles, constructed, like much of this bizarrely successful restaurant, in the classic French style.’
- ‘These include the various thin biscuits such as the French tuile, curved into a tile shape while still soft after cooking.’
French, literally ‘tile’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.