One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian freshwater diving duck with a drooping crest, the male having mainly black and white plumage.
Aythya fuligula, family Anatidae
- ‘They include gadwall, tufted ducks, pochard, coot and great crested grebes, as well as large numbers of other species such as wigeon, shoveler teal, mallard, cormorant and mute swans.’
- ‘More than 70 varieties of birds breed on and around the lake, including the famous ospreys, tufted ducks, goldeneyes, coots, pochards, mallards and widgeons.’
- ‘There are four kinds of tit around here as well as woodpeckers, chaffinches, grey leg geese and tufted ducks.’
- ‘There are the usual species for this wetland habitat mallard, tufted duck, coot, wigeon, teal and mute swan.’
- ‘The estate is home to a variety of bird life, from breeding common terns, nightingales and tufted ducks to vast numbers of wintering birds, such as wigeon, smew and goosander.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.