Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A protein that is the main constituent of the microtubules of living cells.
- ‘In addition to actin, other filamentous systems in cells include tubulin, collagen, and DNA.’
- ‘We also detected increases in fragments of intracellular structural proteins: tubulin, actin, and myosin.’
- ‘Linear structures formed by proteins such as actin and tubulin are reversible and highly dynamic.’
- ‘The basic structural subunit of microtubules is the protein tubulin.’
- ‘Taxotere works by inhibiting tubulin, a protein essential to cell division, thus preventing cancer cells from dividing and growing in number.’
1960s: from tubule + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.