A protein that is the main constituent of the microtubules of living cells.
- ‘Taxotere works by inhibiting tubulin, a protein essential to cell division, thus preventing cancer cells from dividing and growing in number.’
- ‘The basic structural subunit of microtubules is the protein tubulin.’
- ‘In addition to actin, other filamentous systems in cells include tubulin, collagen, and DNA.’
- ‘Linear structures formed by proteins such as actin and tubulin are reversible and highly dynamic.’
- ‘We also detected increases in fragments of intracellular structural proteins: tubulin, actin, and myosin.’
1960s: from tubule + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.