One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A minute tube, especially as an anatomical structure.‘kidney tubules’
- ‘If the spermatozoa showed no motility, a new tubule closer to the testis was selected, and the process was repeated.’
- ‘There were bile casts present in the lumen of the proximal tubules of both kidneys.’
- ‘The tubules showed moderate-to-severe atrophy with scattered dilated tubules.’
- ‘The passage of sperm from the seminiferous tubules of the testis to the vas deferens takes about 12 days.’
- ‘When the expelled tubules elongate, the inner epithelium is disrupted and the contents of the epithelial cell spherules are released.’
Late 17th century: from Latin tubulus, diminutive of tubus ‘tube’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.