Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bacterium that causes tuberculosis.→ TB
- ‘Depending on concentration, iodophors have a wide range of activity against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, tubercle bacillus, fungi, and viruses and some activity against bacterial spores.’
- ‘Tuberculosis is an infection caused by a germ called the tubercle bacillus or Mycobacterium tuberculosis.’
- ‘Prevention, through public-health measures, including antispitting ordinances and the disposal of infected milk and meat, became a first line of defense after Koch identified the tubercle bacillus in 1882.’
- ‘Koch correctly surmised that the tubercle bacillus was surrounded by a ‘special wall of unusual properties.’’
- ‘A human being cannot contract tuberculosis without being exposed to the tubercle bacillus.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.