Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part of the hypothalamus to which the pituitary gland is attached.
- ‘Each optic tract can be traced backwards and laterally, its initial segment passing between the anterior perforated substance laterally and the tuber cinereum and mamillary body medially.’
- ‘The neurohypophysis proper comprises the median eminence of the tuber cinereum, the infundibulum, the pituitary stalk, and the posterior or neural lobe of the pituitary gland.’
- ‘The tuber cinereum, lying in front of the mammilary bodies and behind the pituitary stalk, is enlarged.’
- ‘They are located in the region between the mamillary bodies and the tuber cinereum of the hypothalamus.’
- ‘The tuber cinereum is an elevated mound of gray substance between the optic chiasma and the mamillary bodies.’
Latin cinereum, neuter of cinereus ‘ash-coloured’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.