A watermelon, especially one growing wild in the desert.
- ‘In the Kalahari, the fresh tsamma fruits are used as a stock feed in times of drought.’
- ‘Moisture, for survival of the wildlife, comes from the tsamma melon and gemsbok cucumber.’
- ‘But the most life-giving fruits of the Kalahari are the tsamma melon and gemsbok cucumber.’
- ‘It is estimated that almost half the diet of lactating females consists of tsamma melons and gemsbok cucumbers.’
- ‘During the dry season, man and animal seek out tsamma melons and gemsbok cucumbers to provide them with water.’
From Nama tsamas ‘watermelon’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.