Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A compound, of which serotonin is a derivative, produced from tryptophan by decarboxylation.
- ‘Eating DMT fails because monoamine oxidase in the gut metabolises the tryptamine into secondary compounds which lack any psychoactivity.’
- ‘These include tyramine, tryptamine, phenylethylamine, and serotonin.’
- ‘Studies of this FMO-like enzyme in yucca revealed that the enzyme most likely catalyzes the oxygenation of the compound tryptamine.’
- ‘The yucca phenotype derives from overexpression of a flavin monooxygenase like enzyme that oxidizes tryptamine to N-hydroxyl-tryptamine in vitro.’
- ‘They suggested that elevations in serotonin and tryptamine were responsible for the clinical symptoms see with this syndrome.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.