One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound, of which serotonin is a derivative, produced from tryptophan by decarboxylation.
A heterocyclic amine; chemical formula: C₈H₆NCH₂CH₂NH
- ‘Eating DMT fails because monoamine oxidase in the gut metabolises the tryptamine into secondary compounds which lack any psychoactivity.’
- ‘They suggested that elevations in serotonin and tryptamine were responsible for the clinical symptoms see with this syndrome.’
- ‘Studies of this FMO-like enzyme in yucca revealed that the enzyme most likely catalyzes the oxygenation of the compound tryptamine.’
- ‘The yucca phenotype derives from overexpression of a flavin monooxygenase like enzyme that oxidizes tryptamine to N-hydroxyl-tryptamine in vitro.’
- ‘These include tyramine, tryptamine, phenylethylamine, and serotonin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.