Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Any tropical disease caused by trypanosomes and typically transmitted by biting insects, especially sleeping sickness and Chagas' disease.
- ‘The relentless spread of disease in central Africa contrasts with the remarkable recent success of control programmes in South American trypanosomiasis (Chagas' disease).’
- ‘In terms of public health and economic impact, American trypanosomiasis (Chagas' disease) is the most important parasitic infection in Latin America.’
- ‘Without medical treatment, sleeping sickness - or trypanosomiasis - is always fatal.’
- ‘Human African trypanosomiasis or sleeping sickness is one of the most important but equally most neglected tropical infections.’
- ‘How people use their environments has profoundly affected diseases like malaria and trypanosomiasis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.