Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Any tropical disease caused by trypanosomes and typically transmitted by biting insects, especially sleeping sickness and Chagas' disease.
- ‘Human African trypanosomiasis or sleeping sickness is one of the most important but equally most neglected tropical infections.’
- ‘In terms of public health and economic impact, American trypanosomiasis (Chagas' disease) is the most important parasitic infection in Latin America.’
- ‘How people use their environments has profoundly affected diseases like malaria and trypanosomiasis.’
- ‘Without medical treatment, sleeping sickness - or trypanosomiasis - is always fatal.’
- ‘The relentless spread of disease in central Africa contrasts with the remarkable recent success of control programmes in South American trypanosomiasis (Chagas' disease).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.