Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Men's shorts, worn especially for swimming or boxing.‘bathing trunks’
- ‘Hurriedly, he slips his bathing trunks on, then charges out of the room.’
- ‘First came surfboards, and right on the heels of that came surf trunks and wetsuits.’
- ‘There were lots of people partying in the garden, especially around the pool where some boys in trunks and girls in bikini were playing water polo.’
- ‘Two hours later we run into each other on the beach: I'm in a restaurant, fully clothed; he is bronzed, lying on a chaise on the sand, in pink bathing trunks.’
- ‘I was so careful I didn't even get my bathing trunks wet.’
- ‘And high on the wall he spotted the framed pair of boxing trunks worn and signed by world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis.’
- ‘Your awesome day at the beach has drawn to a close and you want to switch out of your wet trunks.’
- ‘Clothed in nothing more than my bathing trunks, I was seated on a stool in a natural enclosure in the jungle.’
- ‘Talented fashion all-rounders are bathing trunks and shorts in quick-dry fabrics offered with colour co-ordinated shirts to complete beach outfits.’
- ‘Swimwear included ultra minimal sexy trunks with zipped fronts for men and 50s bathing suits with flared skirts for women.’
- ‘Cinnamon continued onto the pool deck just as George exited from his changing room in his swimsuit, dark blue trunks with a patriotic splash of red and white.’
- ‘Some were running around in bikinis and trunks, jumping in and out of what looked to be an indoor hot tub far off to my right.’
- ‘The men's change room was empty and I slipped out of my shorts and into my trunks, then I slipped off my T-shirt and flexed my muscles.’
- ‘Finally, stripped to brown trunks and a white shirt, Houdini made his entrance in the pool area.’
- ‘Before you head out for the sand and surf, make sure you've got the hottest trunks, hat, T, shades, and attitude.’
- ‘The Dean was wearing trunks and a Hawaiian shirt.’
- ‘In addition to flash and floral, cargo pockets are a popular addition to many trunks, as you might have noticed in this year's fashion collections.’
- ‘Bodyboarders are a captive audience for trunks and wetsuits, so there is no need to market to them.’
- ‘As the current champion, he resides in and represents that nation, even wearing its symbol on his boxing trunks.’
- ‘I was wearing a swimsuit, and he was wearing trunks.’
Late 19th century (originally US): from an earlier theatrical use denoting short breeches of thin material worn over tights.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.