One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-distance lorry driver.
- ‘The government has stipulated that truckers can work longer than the new 35 hour limit - but only on the basis that they receive the extra payment as overtime.’
- ‘Motorists and truckers also have to pay heavy road tolls on the continent.’
- ‘The pool of truckers had split into two contingents-one that supported full unionization and another that simply wished to form an association.’
- ‘That case hinged on an interpretation of the Hobbs act, a 1946 law aimed at thwarting gangsters from extorting interstate truckers.’
- ‘I have been a trucker and bus driver for 40 years and I think the council would have been better commissioning me or others like myself with some driving experience, it would have been cheaper and better.’
- ‘Finally, racism is an individual problem for truckers and cab drivers, it has nothing to do with systems of wealth and possession.’
- ‘The rules for American trucks and truckers are very stringent and safety is foremost.’
- ‘Under pressure of increased costs and competition, truckers have been forced to take on increased workloads and some have sought protection under a union contract.’
- ‘In Belgium, 2,500 truckers, taxi drivers and tour bus operators staged a protest on Sunday in Brussels.’
- ‘Police say that the trucker and car driver had a lucky escape.’
- ‘The report by the technical committee outlined a number of reasons for failure on the part of motorists and truckers to make use of the highway.’
- ‘There's a huge shortage of truckers, so a drive has begun to recruit women drivers.’
- ‘Satellite radio was originally marketed to truckers and other long-haul drivers, and receivers were designed to be included in cars and trucks.’
- ‘I occasionally teach driving skills to beginning truckers and safety refresher courses to my company's experienced drivers.’
- ‘A spokesman for the bus drivers and truckers pointed out that the delay in the subsidy comes during the month in which many operating bills are due.’
- ‘Most of the tables are empty - one is occupied by two men who appear to be long distance truckers, another by a group of teenagers.’
- ‘Drowsy driving has long been a hazard, especially for long haul truckers with deadlines to meet.’
- ‘The change really came to pass because truckers really do care about fuel economy and payload.’
- ‘Replacement bumpers are another interesting modification that is a favorite among truckers.’
- ‘Educators help set education policy, mortgage lenders influence housing policies, truckers influence highway regulation, and so on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.