One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-distance lorry driver.
- ‘Educators help set education policy, mortgage lenders influence housing policies, truckers influence highway regulation, and so on.’
- ‘The pool of truckers had split into two contingents-one that supported full unionization and another that simply wished to form an association.’
- ‘The rules for American trucks and truckers are very stringent and safety is foremost.’
- ‘In Belgium, 2,500 truckers, taxi drivers and tour bus operators staged a protest on Sunday in Brussels.’
- ‘Most of the tables are empty - one is occupied by two men who appear to be long distance truckers, another by a group of teenagers.’
- ‘A spokesman for the bus drivers and truckers pointed out that the delay in the subsidy comes during the month in which many operating bills are due.’
- ‘Motorists and truckers also have to pay heavy road tolls on the continent.’
- ‘I have been a trucker and bus driver for 40 years and I think the council would have been better commissioning me or others like myself with some driving experience, it would have been cheaper and better.’
- ‘There's a huge shortage of truckers, so a drive has begun to recruit women drivers.’
- ‘Police say that the trucker and car driver had a lucky escape.’
- ‘I occasionally teach driving skills to beginning truckers and safety refresher courses to my company's experienced drivers.’
- ‘Replacement bumpers are another interesting modification that is a favorite among truckers.’
- ‘Drowsy driving has long been a hazard, especially for long haul truckers with deadlines to meet.’
- ‘Finally, racism is an individual problem for truckers and cab drivers, it has nothing to do with systems of wealth and possession.’
- ‘That case hinged on an interpretation of the Hobbs act, a 1946 law aimed at thwarting gangsters from extorting interstate truckers.’
- ‘The government has stipulated that truckers can work longer than the new 35 hour limit - but only on the basis that they receive the extra payment as overtime.’
- ‘The change really came to pass because truckers really do care about fuel economy and payload.’
- ‘Under pressure of increased costs and competition, truckers have been forced to take on increased workloads and some have sought protection under a union contract.’
- ‘The report by the technical committee outlined a number of reasons for failure on the part of motorists and truckers to make use of the highway.’
- ‘Satellite radio was originally marketed to truckers and other long-haul drivers, and receivers were designed to be included in cars and trucks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.