One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of staying away from school without good reason; absenteeism.‘fines to tackle truancy’
absenteeism, non-attendance, absence, playing truant, truantingView synonyms
- ‘Officials suggested some of the rise in truancy was due to headteachers getting tough, leading to more recorded cases.’
- ‘Last year's figures were better, with one of the lowest growths in truancy for a long time, but still showed a slight increase.’
- ‘Going on holiday without a school's permission is tantamount to truancy, said the junior education minister.’
- ‘A national crackdown on truancy has seen fast-track court action against parents of hardcore truants.’
- ‘Other funds are aimed at developing alternatives to exclusion from schools if pupils are involved in bullying or truancy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.