One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American dog's-tooth violet with yellow flowers, so called from its mottled leaves.
Erythronium americanum, family Liliaceae
- ‘Declines in other plants, such as the northeastern trout lily, have also been anecdotally linked with exotic earthworm invasions, he said.’
- ‘From there, you can hike an easy 2.3 miles past patches of yellow trout lilies, fiddlehead ferns and pink Himalayan jewel-weed to the five-stage Fuller Falls.’
- ‘This triggers the appearance of a number of wildflowers: trillium, phlox, trout lily, Dutchman's breeches, violets, wild strawberries and many more.’
- ‘Further along the same bed is a group of Erythronium revolutum, the American trout lily, which has also been gradually increasing each year.’
- ‘But on his acreage you can be just an instant from trillium, twin leaf, and trout lily.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.