Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chiefly freshwater fish of the salmon family, found in both Eurasia and North America and highly valued for food and game.
- ‘Fish is not in such great supply, though you can get salmon and trout at realistic prices.’
- ‘The rods you should take are a five weight for the trout fishing, a six or seven weight rod is ideal for bass.’
- ‘The species can live in a higher temperature than most other trouts, and this is probably why they were introduced to America.’
- ‘My father used to go shooting and fishing and we had lots of rabbit, salmon and trout to eat.’
- ‘The white trout was immediately recognised by the furious fight it put up when it was hooked.’
- ‘In civil law no one has the right to fish for trout other than the riparian owner’
- ‘Pike tend to live on a diet of whatever fish is available in their waters, such as perch, salmon and trout.’
- ‘The lines you used for trout and salmon fishing are useless in the warmer climates.’
- ‘Leaders are extremely important in pike fishing just as they are in trout and salmon fishing.’
- ‘We were very aware on holiday of the proliferation of salmon, trout, halibut and mussel farms.’
- ‘Lots of fish are suitable, including salmon and trout, but my favourite is sea bass.’
- ‘Most anglers are having lots of sport with the smaller trout as well as with the stocked fish.’
- ‘My favourites are black lumpfish eggs, but red trout and salmon eggs will do just as well.’
- ‘The browns and the tiger trout were magnificently marked and all fish were fin perfect.’
- ‘With the end of the trout and salmon season in sight, its time to get going on the pike.’
- ‘Oily fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel and sardine would be a better catch for Chris.’
- ‘In the absence of brook trout, up to one of two nonnative trouts (wild brown or rainbow) would be substituted as an intolerant species.’
- ‘Only a few trout were recorded for the seven anglers who fished for a short period.’
- ‘The lock is a popular angling pitch, as it provides a natural basin and is usually rich in salmon and trout.’
- ‘Fish is most beneficial for the body when it comes in an oily form such as mackerel, trout or salmon.’
Late Old English truht, from late Latin tructa, based on Greek trōgein gnaw.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.