One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of trousers and a matching jacket worn by women.
- ‘Carolyn met him dressed in a green trouser suit.’
- ‘The orange trouser suit was teamed with her trademark saucy shoes: embellished pointy ankle boots.’
- ‘Boucled Chanel suits, though far from masculine, did much to free women into the working world, and made way for the arrival of the full - blown bid for male status in the 1960s: the trouser suit.’
- ‘But alongside them was another woman - in her late 60s, perhaps - wearing a green trouser suit.’
- ‘The black trouser suit on top was a mass of creases.’
- ‘There is, for instance, a leather jacket with a leopard-print lining, and a trouser suit made from lipstick-red leather.’
- ‘The new trouser suit is less androgynous, more feminine chic.’
- ‘She will be dressed in a sharp trouser suit that outlines her slender figure, heels, and a crisp shirt.’
- ‘I wore a trouser suit, something that I would be able to wear again.’
- ‘Nina is dressed simply in a black trouser suit, neatly set off by gold earrings and rings, but it is her eyes that provide the diamonds, sparkling or flashing dangerously depending on her mood.’
- ‘The trouser suit is not just a fashionable buy, but a flexible one too, says Sally.’
- ‘Jenny was wearing a black trouser suit with a silver grey shirt underneath.’
- ‘But, immaculately dressed in a dark-grey trouser suit, the effect is discreet.’
- ‘Could any woman go wrong wearing his camel - grey Alpaca jacket with flecked flannel trouser or his espresso - black wool plaid trouser suit?’
- ‘It has to be a trouser suit because I don't have to fight with stockings in the morning and only have to worry about matching socks.’
- ‘A well-cut trouser suit is a good choice - but keep the look uncluttered.’
- ‘Her delicate camisoles and modern updates of the 1970s trouser suit fast became the talk of the catwalk circuit.’
- ‘Leonora was dressed in a white trouser suit covered in sequins, with a white fake fur cape draped over padded shoulders.’
- ‘Carrie, in a dark trouser suit and blue blouse, looked ahead, occasionally biting her lip.’
- ‘She is wearing a pastel-green trouser suit, a stars and stripes lapel pin, and a fixed, politician's smile.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.