One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lowest region of the atmosphere, extending from the earth's surface to a height of about 6–10 km (the lower boundary of the stratosphere).
- ‘The stratosphere extends above the troposphere to about 150,000 feet and is the region where the ozone layer is formed.’
- ‘Also, the presence of stratospheric ozone sandwiched between the satellite and the troposphere makes seeing tropospheric ozone very difficult.’
- ‘The stratosphere is the atmospheric layer between the troposphere and the mesosphere and extends from about 12 km altitude to about 50 km.’
- ‘The other two climate records, so-called ‘upper air’ records, measure temperatures in Earth's troposphere and stratosphere.’
- ‘Because of the cloud spreading at the top, the height of the troposphere in the area can also be calculated.’
Early 20th century: from Greek tropos ‘turning’ + sphere.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.