Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lowest region of the atmosphere, extending from the earth's surface to a height of about 6–10 km (the lower boundary of the stratosphere).
- ‘The other two climate records, so-called ‘upper air’ records, measure temperatures in Earth's troposphere and stratosphere.’
- ‘The stratosphere is the atmospheric layer between the troposphere and the mesosphere and extends from about 12 km altitude to about 50 km.’
- ‘Because of the cloud spreading at the top, the height of the troposphere in the area can also be calculated.’
- ‘Also, the presence of stratospheric ozone sandwiched between the satellite and the troposphere makes seeing tropospheric ozone very difficult.’
- ‘The stratosphere extends above the troposphere to about 150,000 feet and is the region where the ozone layer is formed.’
Early 20th century: from Greek tropos turning + sphere.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.