Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A globular protein complex involved in muscle contraction. It occurs with tropomyosin in the thin filaments of muscle tissue.
- ‘The tropomyosin and troponin proteins on the actin filament provide the switch.’
- ‘Together with the associated protein troponin, TM on actin can switch between two laterally shifted conformations.’
- ‘Actin, myosin, and troponin and tropomyosin were isolated from rabbit back muscle.’
- ‘The addition of regulatory proteins, troponin and tropomyosin, is known to increase the sliding speed of thin filaments in the in vitro motility assay.’
- ‘The onset of contractile activity involves activating troponin, the second accessory protein of thin filaments.’
1960s: from tropomyosin + -n- + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.