One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protein involved in muscle contraction. It is related to myosin and occurs together with troponin in the thin filaments of muscle tissue.
- ‘The regulation of contractility in striated muscle by calcium is effected via tropomyosin on the actin filament.’
- ‘The addition of regulatory proteins, troponin and tropomyosin, is known to increase the sliding speed of thin filaments in the in vitro motility assay.’
- ‘For example, troponin and tropomyosin form large protein complexes with multiple points of interactions with each other and the F-actin helical backbone.’
- ‘Flight muscle contraction is regulated by both stretch and Ca 2 + induced thin filament (actin + tropomyosin + troponin complex) activation.’
- ‘Unfavorable interactions could occur at high ionic strength between adjacent tropomyosin molecules, between tropomyosin and troponin, or between other protein pairs.’
1940s: from Greek tropos ‘turning’ + myosin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.